I would never have hired you if I knew you wouldn’t work Saturdays.
I wonder if the average American knows just how many kinds of illegal it is to say such a thing to an employee or to a job candidate?
Would it be clearer if the boss said “I would never have hired you if I knew you were black?”
Here is the official hiring policy that my employer claims to stand behind:
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company prohibits harassment and discrimination against associates and job applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, ancestry, pregnancy, ethnicity, or any other reason prohibited by law. This policy applies to consideration for employment, hiring, training, advancement, compensation, termination, and all other conditions of employment.
The Company prohibits retaliation against associates and job applicants for filing a good-faith complaint or assisting in an investigation under applicable federal, state, or local employment discrimination laws.
It looks good on paper. In fact, it looks great on paper. Lots of companies openly discriminate against gays because it isn’t illegal in every state yet. Also, citizenship status, ethnicity, and ancestry are interesting additions. But companies lie.
That is why the nation as a whole has enacted laws to make discrimination illegal.
But I guess the word hasn’t gotten around yet?
After I filed a Religious Accommodation Request through HR, my store manager said (in front of witnesses) that:
- She would never have hired me to work in retail.
- She especially would never have hired me to be a Sales Lead (supervisor).
- My unwillingness to work will trickle down and contaminate my team.
- Then she tried to get me to agree to work just a few Saturdays, which would prove I was not committed to Judaism.
- Then she tried to get me to agree to work just during the big promotional weekends.
- Then she assured me that “She has my back”. With friends like that, who needs enemies?
Even though I “won” a Religious Accommodation for Shabbat, the company is going to punish me in 3 ways:
- Since I “have placed restrictions on my availability”, they are not obligated to schedule me for 40 hours of work.
- I may be scheduled from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. – just to close the store on Saturday nights, even though shifts under 4 hours are illegal.
- I will not be getting any 15 minute breaks during the week because they are supposedly “voluntary”.
and 4. I had better produce good sales numbers or else!
***Please repost and distribute this story freely to provide evidence of institutional racism and discrimination against Jews and other minorities, as well.
“Racism, version 2015.” is copyright © 2015 by Poorkitteh.