Sometimes I refer to narcissists (NPD) as evil people, but it makes me uncomfortable. They are damaged human beings and I wouldn’t want to be in their place. I feel sorry for them… AND YET, they are extremely dangerous to the rest of us non-NPD individuals. Anyone who gets within 50 feet or 15 meters of them is a potential target. In fact, they can get to you over the telephone, via internet or through the friend of a friend because narcissists need targets (victims) and narcissistic supply.
Again, narcissistic supply means things they take from other people without reciprocating. It can be attention, accolades, gifts, cash money, sex, housing, use of a vehicle. The list is endless. Narcissists use other people to get their own needs met. If you’ve got it and they need it, you are in danger.
Here are some reasons why narcissists cannot live without victimizing the rest of us:
1. Financial reasons: Sometimes narcissists simply need money, food or a place to sleep for free. If you’ve got it, then you are a target.
2. Emotional Reasons: Narcissists reaffirm their own superiority each time they get narcissistic supply from a target. This is the NPD equivalent of happiness. They pulled one over on you; therefore, they are superior to you. It warms the heart.
3. Appearances: Sometimes a narcissist needs the social acceptance and normalcy that comes from having a cover. If they can move into an apartment with a friend, it gives them the appearance of being less dangerous and makes it easier to get people to trust them – which then makes those trusting souls potential targets.
4. Thrill-Seeking: Narcissists are forever seeking the next high because they get bored ever so quickly. Each time they “fall in love”, they are convinced that this will be the relationship that will change them into someone who has feelings for others. After a month, they don’t feel the rush anymore, so they move on. Narcissists are very much like zombies, driven by their hunger but incapable of understanding that they just ate someone’s brain.
5. Incompetence: Narcissists seem to be running from job to job, person to person, crisis to crisis. They are distracted by their own dramas, therefore, they often cannot succeed in the workplace. Also, narcissists move from relationship to relationship, therefore, they cannot establish a firm footing.
While you might imagine that a narcissist would be “happier” if they lived alone in a cabin in the mountains; this is not true. They need us – to be their next meal, to be their next new thrill, to be their next patron, and to be their next Discard.
Are narcissists evil or merely dangerous? Well, that depends on whether or not they comprehend how much they harm other people. The narcissists themselves admit that they hurt targets on purpose. They claim they understand the difference between right and wrong. Maybe dangerous and evil are the same thing when you are dealing with Narcissistic Personality Disorder?
“Narcissists: Evil vs Dangerous.” is copyright © 2014 by 18mitzvot. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
You must log in to post a comment.