At Art Therapy today (for survivors of domestic abuse), the counsellor asked us to say our name and something that we are looking forward to this summer. Wow. It was a total brick wall for me. I could not think of anything that I was looking forward to. Not for next week. Not for next month. Nothing at all.
and talked about how easy it could be to take small steps to improve our mood.
– One lady said she loves the smell of her shampoo. Since she is already in the shower, why not notice and enjoy the perfume?
– Another lady bought a used bicycle for $15 and rode it for 10 to 15 minutes. She did not have to ride 30 miles on her first day. That was very self-loving.
– Another lady took her grandkids to the park. This was difficult because she often gets punished for trying to leave the house; but she said it made her feel happier.
– I sit in the park with my siddur and read tehillim (psalms).
– In the video, Kid President suggests: high-fives, breathing, kites, dancing, and meeting new people. (Plus a bunch of other stuff.) I did feel better after the group. It was only an hour of informal chatting with other women who are trauma survivors. I am glad I made the effort to attend.